Physical ~ Columbarium
The Columbarium at St. Paul’s provides a simple and dignified manner of safeguarding the ashes of deceased persons whose remains have been cremated. The ashes are placed in a sealed box, the box is placed in a chosen niche, and the niche is covered with a bronze plate engraved with the name and dates of birth and death of the deceased.
The Columbarium is located in a small chapel on the lower floor of the church, under the chancel. The 270 niches are set in fifteen rows and eighteen columns. About two-thirds of them are occupied. Many parishioners have purchased places in the Columbarium in anticipation of future use. Places are still available for purchase. Purchases are not restricted to parishioners. The purchase fee includes the cost of engraving the plate.* If a change of plan occurs after purchase, a refund may be made, subject to an administrative fee.
The Columbarium project was initiated by the Reverend Harold McSherry during the term of his incumbency, and constructed in 1977 using funds provided by contemporary bequests.
The bronze plate memorializing Edith de Glanville (with a birth date of October 1, 1878 and a death date of January 14, 1978, ninety-nine years later) is the earliest recorded in the Columbarium.
For more information about this ministry, including current fees, contact the church office at 604-685-6832.
*Additional fees are payable for Memorial Services, however, whether deposition in the Columbarium takes place or not.